Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia’s Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour’s drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students – helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
The Data Analyst will be a key member of the Shared Services Center (SSC) by:
- Interpreting data and trends to support business activities.
- Identifying process improvement opportunities based on data.
- Providing data analysis that supports process design and re-engineering for key business processes.
- Design and prepare key metrics.
- Ensuring management information and reporting regarding business process results.
- Advise on and assist with support of processing platforms and software tools which support data analysis.
- Contribute expertise to wider IT and automation topics including, where appropriate, system analysis, information security, etc.
- Strong Knowledge of BI and analytics.
- Ability to understand business needs and user requirements to develop data analysis solutions.
- Ability to develop effective dashboards, reports, and presentations to make data analysis results readily available for diverse audiences.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft PowerBI.
- Knowledge of structured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships and metadata.
- Knowledge of relational database management systems (DBMS) implementation, including tables, joins and SQL querying.
- Adequate numerical literacy and mathematical ability to understand and present quantitative results (percentages, ratios, trend analyses, etc.).
- Ability to combine data from multiple sources when needed for analyses (i.e. “ETL”).
- Strong English language written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability designing effective solutions to complex problems; intuitive/natural aptitude for problem solving.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Information Technology, Operations Management, or other technical discipline, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Intermediate level of data analysis experience.
- Advanced level Excel experience.
- Demonstrated experience with Power BI (Desktop and Service).
- Demonstrated experience working with Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with reporting with data from Salesforce, SharePoint, and PeopleSoft.
To view the full job posting and apply, go to: https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/54241
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.