Small Business LenderThe Conservation Fund
We are seeking a lender to generate new NCI Fund loans in Eastern North Carolina and the Triangle region with a focus on increasing our support for small businesses operated by persons of color. This position will be located in Raleigh, Rocky Mount, Fayetteville or Eastern North Carolina cities. This is a fulltime position with excellent benefits.
- Primary responsibility will be to spearhead NCIFund’s lending in the Triangle and Eastern NC, with a focus on building a pipeline and successful portfolio of minority-owned and operated small businesses.
- Actively prospect for loan opportunities from multiple sources, including: lending institutions; community economic development organizations; and sector-specific organizations and associations.
- Effectively market and represent NCIFund to a range of audiences at conferences, in one-on-one meetings, and in the media. Seek opportunities to serve the community on committees and boards.
- Evaluate loan requests and applications to determine fit with NCIFund’s investment strategy and overall portfolio.
- Conduct due diligence, utilizing NCIFund’s underwriting guidelines and financial analysis software to evaluate a company’s credit worthiness.
- Write investment recommendations with proposed terms and conditions and present them to NCIFund Investment Committees. Upon approval, negotiate final terms and conditions of investment with the applicant.
- Monitor the financial and organizational health of borrowers, through analysis of company financial statements and annual site visits. Recommend follow-up action and restructuring loans when necessary.
- Assist NCIFund’s Director of Lending and President in continuously improving NCIFund’s: underwriting and loan/investment policies and practices; operating practices; and marketing and outreach practices and materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned by NCIFund’s Director of Lending, including but not limited to: portfolio analysis and advising on other business finance-related projects as needed.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience and success in working with the African-American community and other communities of color in Eastern NC and the Triangle that can lead to NCIFund loans and business assistance to minority small business owners.
- Lender with a current, active business loan portfolio in North Carolina preferred.
- A minimum of five years experience in small business lending, assistance or management with commercial loan underwriting responsibilities required. Prior lending and/or business experience with local food lending, agricultural lending, “green” sectors, and minority communities preferable.
- Experience with alternative lending and credit enhancement programs such as SBA and USDA, guarantee programs preferred.
- Commitment to and interest in NCIFund’s and TCF’s organizational mission. Interest in supporting environmental businesses and economic development that benefit low-income communities, and communities of color in particular.
- A financial background with a strong understanding of balance sheet, income statement and cash flow analysis and loan underwriting.
- Ability to write well, communicate verbally in a succinct and persuasive manner, and interact effectively with a wide range of individuals, e.g., colleagues, lenders, funders, low-wealth and minority borrowers, and technical assistance providers.
- Strong analytical, time management, and organizational skills, including a high level of attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- Impeccable personal integrity and commitment to maintaining confidentiality of customer data.
- A demonstrated "can-do" entrepreneurial attitude appropriate for a business-oriented non-profit.
- Ability to learn quickly. Open to taking on new projects and responsibilities with a positive attitude and a sense of humor.
- At least a BA/BS degree in finance, business administration, accounting, community development, or in a related field.
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus but not required.
- Strong computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, and database programs (Microsoft Office software: Word, Excel). Experience with The Exceptional Assistant (TEA) and Cash Suite helpful but not required.
- Willingness to travel. Must have a current, valid driver’s license with the unrestricted ability to travel independently to various locations as required. A driving report from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will be reviewed for employment purposes.
NCIFund (www.ncifund.org) is a US Treasury-certified CDFI and a non-profit affiliate of The Conservation Fund (www.conservationfund.org), a national non-profit organization focused on land and water conservation and economic development. For additional information, please visit our websites.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Qualified/interested candidates should send their resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org