MECHANICS *$2,000 Signing Bonus thru July 31*Ruston Paving Company
Ruston Paving is currently hiring Mechanics/ Shop Technician for its Durham, NC location.
$2,000 signing bonus thru July 2018
General Summary of the Position
The mechanic is responsible for the on-site and off-site maintenance and repair of company owned and rented construction equipment, trucks and vehicles. He is responsible for the organization, cleanliness and safe operation of tools and equipment in and around the shop and yard area as well as the mechanic’s truck. Follows all safety requirements and procedures outlined by all regulatory agencies and company policies.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Maintains, repairs and occasionally operates construction or power equipment, including but not limited to an excavator, grader, bulldozer, backhoe, front end loader, skid steer, asphalt paver, dirt/asphalt roller, asphalt reclaimer, soil stabilizer and asphalt milling machine.
- Maintains, repairs and occasionally operates jackhammers, saws and other small equipment and tools as required.
- Responsible for diagnosing and troubleshooting equipment failures, repairing and maintaining diesel and gasoline engines.
- Performs shop management functions such as maintenance scheduling and spare parts inventory control.
- Cleans equipment as needed to aid in diagnostic evaluation and repairs.
- Maintains and oversees on-site stock for the routine maintenance and repair of all fleet equipment, trucks and vehicles including but not limited to fuel, grease, oil, fluids, filters and small wear parts.
- Operates small electric and air powered hand tools including but not limited to welders, cut-off saws, drill presses, jacks, chain hoists, overhead cranes, vehicle lifts, grease guns, bench grinders, pressure washers, presses, and torches.
- Travels to remote locations or jobsites as needed for the emergency repair and maintenance of fleet equipment, trucks and vehicles.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards as determined by law, site requirements and company policies.
- Performs pre and post trip inspections of vehicles driven, equipment moved, and trailers towed, noting any defects or deficiencies both verbally and in writing.
- Employee may be sent to other facility locations and operations to perform duties as required.
- All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials and supplies used in construction work.
- General knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Knowledge of heavy site construction equipment operation, maintenance, capability, use and function.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Ability to perform job requirements in adverse field conditions and all weather conditions.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving deviation from standardized and/or planned situations and procedures.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to structure and solve simple arithmetic problems.
- Ability to work with computers as a tool for problem solving, diagnosis and for retrieving and completing electronic work orders.
- Ability to MIG, TIG and stick weld.
- Working knowledge of electrical and hydraulic systems.
- Mechanics should possess or be in the process of acquiring the basic tools of the trade including but not limited to ¾” drive and under. A tool allowance is provided.
- Laundered uniforms and personal protective equipment are provided and must be worn in accordance with company policy.
- Employee shifts start and end at the division office/shop. Transportation to/from jobsites is provided.
- Projects may require infrequent out of town overnight stays.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.