LOWBOY DRIVERS *$2,000 Signing Bonus thru January 2019!*Ruston Paving Company
Ruston Paving is currently hiring Lowboy Drivers for its Durham, NC location.
$2,000 Signing Bonus thru January 2019!
General Summary of the Position
The lowboy driver drives trucks equipped with a flatbed trailer used for the loading, unloading and transport of heavy construction equipment. The individual drives other vehicles and/or configurations as assigned and trained. He may assist other craft workers in the performance of their duties. He follows all safety requirements and procedures outlined by all regulatory agencies and company policies.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Performs daily truck equipment inspections and all required safety equipment including, but not limited to; tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil and coolant, etc. before each shift to assure equipment is safe for usage. Completes written daily inspection report as required. Submits request for maintenance for any repair items.
- Maintains truck logs or time recordings as required by state, federal, and company policies and regulations.
- Assist with proper and legal loading of materials and or equipment for transport as designated by dispatch center.
- Operate truck safely to and from project destination.
- Maintains telephone contact with dispatch center for instructions.
- Pulls levers or turns crank to connect and disconnect trailer from tractor.
- Move hand and foot controls for truck movement forward and backward.
- Properly ties down load for transit using straps, chains and binders.
- Properly chocks wheels when leaving the truck per company guidelines.
- Regularly maintains cargo area to be free of debris and is responsible for the cleanliness of both the interior and exterior of truck and trailer.
- Inspects load for loose debris prior to transport.
- Performs post trip vehicle inspections of vehicles driven, equipment moved, and trailers towed, noting any defects or deficiencies in writing. Written inspections are turned in to designated locations or personnel.
- Performs all safety procedures required by governmental agencies and those established by Ruston Paving.
- Employee may be sent to other facility locations and operations to perform duties as required.
All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Some knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials and supplies used in construction work.
- General knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Knowledge of heavy site construction equipment operation, maintenance, capability, use and function.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Ability to perform job requirements in adverse field conditions and all weather conditions.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving deviation from standardized and/or planned situations and procedures.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Education, Training and Experience
- Must possess a valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL A).
- Must possess a USDOT Medical Examiner's Certificate.
- Any combination of education and work experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work.
- Drivers must possess a minimum of 2 years of experience transporting heavy construction equipment for paving and/or site excavation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Noise level is generally loud.
- Must be able to quickly move arms and legs.
- Excellent stamina is required.
- Laundered uniforms and personal protective equipment are provided and must be worn in accordance with company policy.
- Employee shifts start and end at the division office/shop. Transportation to/from the jobsite is provided.
- Projects may require infrequent out of town overnight stays.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.