Heavy Equipment OperatorsRuston Paving Company
Ruston Paving is currently hiring Heavy Equipment Operators for its Durham, NC location
General Summary of the Position
A heavy equipment operator safely operates a variety of motorized equipment used in the construction, maintenance and repair of company construction projects. The operator must perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the construction and maintenance of company construction projects. May assist other craft workers. Follows all safety requirements and procedures outlined by all regulatory agencies and company policies.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Operates construction or power equipment, including but not limited to an excavator, grader, bulldozer, backhoe, front end loader, skid steer, asphalt paver, dirt/asphalt roller, asphalt reclaimer, soil stabilizer and asphalt milling machine.
- Works with and assists the grading or paving crews to remove or install stone, dirt, asphalt pavement or storm water systems based on the project’s scope of work.
- Performs routine maintenance and emergency repairs, reports complex mechanical problems for shop repairs. Cleans equipment.
- Ensures heavy equipment is safely and securely stored.
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of traffic control devices.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards as determined by law, jobsite requirements and company policies.
- Performs pre and post trip inspections of vehicles driven, equipment moved, and trailers towed, noting any defects or deficiencies both verbally and in writing.
- Employee may be sent to other facility locations and operations to perform duties as required.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Occasionally operates jackhammers, saws and other small equipment and tools as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials and supplies used in construction work.
- General knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Knowledge of heavy site construction equipment operation, maintenance, capability, use and function.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Ability to perform job requirements in adverse field conditions and all weather conditions.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving deviation from standardized and/or planned situations and procedures.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Education, Training and Experience
- Any combination of education and work experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work as described.
- Heavy equipment operators must possess a minimum of 2 years of experience.
- Site excavation and/or paving experience is required.
- Valid and appropriate in-state driver’s license or the ability to obtain said license is preferred.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Noise level is generally loud.
- Must be able to quickly move arms and legs.
- Excellent stamina is required.
- The heavy equipment operator must work independently and is expected to maintain a schedule of work. Any problems or inconveniences may result in increased stress to complete tasks in a limited time.
- Laundered uniforms and personal protective equipment are provided and must be worn in accordance with company policy.
- Employee shifts start and end at the division office/shop. Transportation to/from the jobsite is provided.
- Projects may require infrequent out of town overnight stays.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.