Range Safety OfficerNC Wildlife Resources Commission
RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
WAKE COUNTY FIREARMS EDUCATION & TRAINING CENTER
The Wake County Firearms Education & Training Center (WCFETC) is owned by Wake County with an agreement in development for public use operations to be conducted by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. This Range Safety Officer position and subsequent position schedule will not become effective until the Wake County Board of Commissioners’ approves a written agreement with NC Wildlife Resources Commission for use of WCFETC. Candidate will be notified of progress and potential training and start dates when available.
WCFETC is an indoor shooting range facility located at 3921 Old Holly Springs Apex Rd, Apex. The WCFETC has historically been utilized for public target shooting as well as education and training for safe shooting of firearms. The Wake County Sheriff’s Office as well as other law enforcement entities utilize the shooting range for training purposes outside of the public hours of operation.
Hours: Friday 4:30pm – 9:00pm, Saturday and Sunday 8:30am – 7:00pm, Monday 4:30pm – 9:00pm
This job advertisement is for the hiring of 4 Range Safety Officers.
Wage: $15/hour – 30 hours/week – Contract can be renewed for subsequent years.
The primary duty of the Range Safety Officer will be maintaining a safe environment on the shooting range.
Josh Jernigan – Shooting Sports Recruitment, Retention, Reactivation (R3) Specialist
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure that the facility and all range operations are always maintained at the highest standards in strict adherence to Standard Operation Procedures (SOP).
- Monitor and promote safe shooting activities and range operations for all patrons under their supervision at all times –range operations include calling cease fire and “hot range” as needed.
- Have extensive knowledge of firearms of all types and their operation and be able to assist patrons with appropriate equipment instruction as needed.
- Know and follow emergency response plans when required.
- Close the range or temporarily cease activity at any time should safety concerns warrant such or the site needs maintenance.
- Require patrons to leave the range if they violate range and/or safety rules or otherwise pose a threat to themselves, other patrons or the safe operation of the range.
- Construct/repair target stands.
- Maintain productive relationships with patrons.
- Attend training as required.
- Work as a team player with all staff.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with everyone.
- Maintain a well groomed, professional appearance at all times.
- Adhere to NCWRC and Wake County policies at all times.
- Assist as needed with other duties.
Must be 21 years of age.
Must possess a valid NC Driver’s License.
Submit to a back-ground check which reveals no disqualifying convictions. Disqualifying convictions are listed as follows:
- A felony.
- A crime or unlawful act defined as a “Class 1” misdemeanor within the five-year period prior to the date of application; or
- Any conviction of the game and fish law which would require a mandatory suspension and or revocation of a license as indicated in G.S. 113-276.3 within the three-year period prior to the date of application.
Management prefers one-year experience in operating a sport shooting range such as skeet, trap, clay, archery, or target.
Management prefers one-year experience in maintaining and repairing sport shooting range such as skeet, trap, clay, archery or target.
Once hired, must attain (if not already certified) the NRA Range Safety Officer certification with a test score of 90% or better.
Submit to a lead and hearing test.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate firearms and range equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include both close and far vision requirements.
- Ability to Lift 50 pounds on occasion
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- High noise level. Hearing and eye protection will be furnished and required at all times.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time.