Communications OfficerNC Real Estate Commission
General Statement of Duties
Performs difficult technical work managing digital media content and the content,
production, and business affairs of a communications program which includes newsletters,
manuals, brochures, guides, and related publications in both print and electronic format.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class organizes and directs the digital media and communications program for the NC Real Estate Commission. Responsibility includes oversight of the Commission’s social material, reviewing the content of materials, establishing editorial standards for online and paper based publications and other information disseminated and revising content to meet the standards. Planning is done in conference with the Chief Technology Officer and/or Executive Director who evaluate the materials before they are published. Work is evaluated by the Chief Technology Officer and/or Executive Director and is based on quality and timeliness of prepared publications and management of publication inventory.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Work is performed under the supervision of the Executive Director and/or Chief Technology Officer.
- Produces and manages digital media content and print publications for the Commission.
- Produces email, banner and website design using HTML, and CSS.
- Designs graphics, videos, layouts and the like for print, web, email, and digital publications, for in-house software and for social media including Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.
- Assumes primary responsibility for editing technical articles and contributing institutional articles, designing layout, and coordinating publications of digital and print publications, and proofreading galleys, blue lines, and other drafts.
- Determines stylistic format appropriate for publication online and on paper, and edits
material for content and style.
- Works with authors to resolve content and publication problems.
- Negotiates with translators, graphic designers, artists, photographers, printers and others as necessary for creating a publication and oversees compliance with terms of contract once the contract is approved by the Chief Technology Officer and/or Executive Director.
- Performs periodic updates, coordinates publication of "Real Estate Licensing in North
Carolina," "Questions and Answers" brochures, "Real Estate Commission" brochure and other Commission publications.
- Proofs and submits new communications and publications for inclusion on Commission website. Submits publications to State Publications Clearinghouse as required by law and State policy.
- Plans publication deadlines in negotiations with authors, printer, and the Executive Director.
- Prepares bid specifications, solicits and analyzes bids and communicates with bidders in connection with the drafting and for printing of Commission publications, forms and other printed materials; reviews work to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Prepares press releases and edits articles for inclusion in related trade and other
- Prepares, for review by the Commission's Legal Counsel, disciplinary action notifications and distributes to the media and industry organizations.
- Creates PPTs, videos, graphics and other visuals for speeches and presentations designed to educate and inform real estate licensees and consumers.
- Maintains inventory of all Commission publications to ensure adequate supplies and
- Manages external vendor providing fulfillment of publication orders.
- At the direction of the Executive Director, assists in the preparation of other digital media, materials and publications on topics related to real estate brokerage practice, the Real Estate License Law and Commission rules, Commission policies, positions and activities, and related topics.
- In conjunction with the Chief Technology Officer, assures ADA compliance of all online
- A bachelor's degree in communications, English, journalism, or a related field, with writing and editorial experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some real estate experience is preferred.
Must relocate or reside in Raleigh area.
$45,704 - $54,841 depending on experience, plus excellent benefits.
Application deadline: October 1.
Contact: NC Real Estate Commission, https://www.ncrec.gov, (919) 875-3700, Ext. 117.