Sr. Technical AccountantMcClatchy
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Get to know us a little bit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d692Kd1QtNy1Z9GtqtQrOyCiqMvZs6Oq/view
We are hiring a Sr. Technical Accountant to be a key member of McClatchy’s accounting organization. The Senior Technical Accountant will be responsible for technical accounting, assisting with financial reporting disclosures, and supporting other functions within the accounting department. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented, self-motivated, team player with a strong desire to grow and learn in this position.
The ideal candidate is proficient in:
- Researching complicated technical accounting issues
- SEC reporting
- Tax accounting issues
- Communicating effectively with others from across the company on various finance-related issues
- Being a self-starter and with a focus on being a strong business partner
This position is an individual contributor and reports to the SEC Reporting Manager.
Location: The preferred location is our Sacramento, CA office, however, we may be open to this position being located in our Raleigh, NC office.
- Researches and advises on new accounting pronouncements, their financial and operational impact and related disclosures, including general GAAP, revenue, leases, and intangible assets.
- Writes technical documents, such as white papers, accounting position papers, memos or new policies and procedures.
- Leads implementation projects related to compliance with new standards such as leasing, revenue recognition, etc.
- Provides technical accounting support to company-wide business and finance leaders.
- Partners with other corporate departments and provides guidance on contract structuring in order to realize the most favorable accounting and business outcomes.
- Ensures the company complies with applicable accounting standards by serving as a key US GAAP expert and knowledge sharing. This will include training both finance professionals and other business partners regarding accounting changes.
- Works closely with external and internal audit teams with regards to all aspects of accounting policies, technical accounting determinations and ensuring there is proper support for all conclusions.
- Assists with preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual external reporting requirements, including 10Qs, 10Ks and 8Ks.
- Develops, implements, and ensures compliance with financial and accounting policies and procedures. Collaborates with team members to establish policies that are comprehensive, clear, and align with company or regulatory guidelines.
- 4+ years of experience in a Public Accounting Firm or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant major
- Knowledgeable of complex accounting rules and ability to apply them in a digital environment
- Excellent computer skills
- Exceptional complex problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze complex transactions to identify related business and accounting implications
- The ability to write technical accounting position and policy documents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have a superior sense of ethics
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Must have strong organizational skills and be an effective time manager
- Experience working in a Media and/or Technology company
- CPA certification or a sitting candidate