Software Developer (DevOps)
McClatchy is seeking a talented Systems Developer (DevOps) for our innovation-focused, product-driven, technology hub in downtown Raleigh.
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Learn a little bit about us: This is McClatchy
McClatchy's IT group creates, deploys, and maintains mission-critical software that powers over seventy periodical Web sites, including miamiherald.com, charlotteobserver.com, and newsobserver.com (Raleigh, NC). All of the Web sites are hosted and monitored in enterprise-class data centers. Additionally, McClatchy's IT group supports all of the Web sites with hands-on technical training, consulting services, and 24/7 customer service.
A Systems Developer (DevOps) at McClatchy IT designs, implements, and maintains infrastructure solutions in support of the company's content management system, supplemental applications and open source tools that power the McClatchy Company's numerous Web sites.
Systems Developers work closely with the development team and the systems architect, as well as the full technical staff. They are essentially the bridge between application development and system administration functions and responsibilities.
- Implement and expand configuration management infrastructure
- Design and implement solutions to increase automated software deployment
- Design and implement solutions to increase application performance, monitoring and data collection
- Perform root cause analysis in cooperation with other team members, recommend and implement improvements to systems and applications
- Interface with technology and development teams to incorporate requirements and deliver infrastructure components
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability and stability of various system resources
- Creation of documentation for both developer and end-user consumption
- Providing training to other developers, technology and customer service personnel
- After hours availability for emergency issues.
- 4-6 years of professional system administration/programming/devops experience
- Experience with configuration management concepts and tools (Puppet or Salt pref.).
- Experience with a revision control system (e. g. Git, Subversion)
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong linux administration skills
- Strong software package and deployment experience (docker or rpm a plus)
- Expert Unix or Linux scripting, specifically BASH (python and ruby a plus)
- Bachelor's degree or advanced degree in computer science, electrical or computer engineering, physics, or mathematics
- Experience with system-level software development (in C, Go, C++)
- Experience with MySQL (or similar relational database) development, tuning and deployment
- Experience with web hosting in large-scale environments
- Experience with additional web technologies (Docker, Memcached, Varnish, Tomcat, Akamai, Solr etc)
- Familiarity with Web Services in a Service-Oriented Architecture