Product Manager - Video and News StrategyMcClatchy
Are you passionate about video strategy and innovative ways to tell stories? McClatchy is looking for a Product Manager to guide our video product strategy, in addition to shaping our overall news product roadmap. McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
McClatchy is looking for an experienced Product Manager - Video and News Strategy to join our News Product Team. This position will guide McClatchy’s video product strategy, in addition to other storytelling strategies, focusing on the needs of our audiences and monetization opportunities. This position reports to the Lead Product Manager for News and collaborates with other product managers focused on editorial, audience and revenue strategies. A background in video platforms and digital video product is desired, but not required
Note: The location for this position is our innovation-focused, product-driven, technology hub in downtown Raleigh, N.C.
- Work closely with video leaders and journalists to understand both audience needs and digital storytelling needs, and shape ideas into coherent product plans that meet both objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to develop and drive an overall strategic plan and roadmap for McClatchy's video products, defining and articulating new opportunities and goals, and aligning the strategy with other areas of the business.
- Use research and data analysis to inform decision making and prioritize product plans.
- Spot trends and innovative opportunities for video storytelling, machine learning, live stream and other areas, and investigate possibilities for McClatchy.
- Collaborate with user experience, design and other internal teams to ensure our video products, platforms and features successfully meet our goals.
- Clearly communicate video strategy, goals and KPIs to development teams and ensure delivery against them.
- Assist with all aspects of the product life cycle, including defining the strategy, a/b testing, design, competitive research and future enhancements of products
- Lead relevant vendor evaluations.
- Monitor and analyze metrics as well as identify and measure the impact of new features.
- Serve as subject-matter expert in video product areas, touching on best practices, competition and the latest industry trends. Define actionable insights from this knowledge and use it to influence the product roadmap, as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree or comparable experience.
- 3 plus years experience in product management or video strategy.
- Familiarity and comfort in working with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health, set goals and metrics, and aid in the prioritization of initiatives and features.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive action.
- An effective understanding of technology and how to use it to deliver outstanding and innovative products.
- An ability to analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, think creatively and strategically, with a corresponding ability to execute strategies methodically.
- Ability to perform analysis then defend findings to drive business decisions.
- Track record of success in fast-paced organizations with matrixed reporting environments, using collaborative approaches to drive effective solutions when no direct reporting relationship exists.
- Demonstrated collaboration skills, working across a broad organization.
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching business priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Some travel may be necessary - 0-20%.
- Advanced degree.
- Experience working in media or journalism.