Event Marketing ManagerMcClatchy
The Event Marketing Manager resides in the News & Observer’s advertising department as part of the Brand Strategy team, and is wholly responsible for the Event Marketing strategy, execution, partnership sales and profitability attainment. This strategic role will be tasked with executing an overarching event marketing strategy for the company including events for the N&O, Triangle Today, Nando Media as well as events for clients.
JOB TITLE: Event Marketing Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chief Creative Director, Brand Strategy
We are looking for a candidate who can multi-task, work independently, is driven to run their own business unit and has the following broad skill set:
- Creative, strategic thinker who can independently ideate and build an annual events strategy to meet marketing initiatives and drive new revenues
- Experience managing a business unit to attain revenue/expense goals and profitability
- Event marketing experience including working with vendors, negotiating contracts, detail-oriented event execution
- Sales-oriented mindset who can build and sell marketing partnerships leveraging events (in conjunction with our sales team)
- An understanding of marketing and how events is just one touchpoint of a broader strategy to engage customers and drive new revenues
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Successful Candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing an events strategy that maximizes revenue and engages a wide variety of target audiences.
- Research venue options, analyze and negotiate venue proposals, review legal contracts, liaise and manage the venue though planning and execution phases.
- Develop and actively manage vendor/freelance talent relationships to ensure best available talent and pricing.
- Provide all marketing support for the events, including sales collateral for sponsorship opportunities.
- Promotion of events via local efforts, PR and social media
- Interact with the client services and sales team to find creative solutions for sponsor activations.
- Create and maintain organization documents and schedules for internal and external teams.
- Coordinate needs of all teams onsite and manage the onsite production team.
- Manage program budgets and offset costs through creative solutions.
- Reconcile invoices and program costs against budget.
- Conduct pre and post event evaluation surveys and reports on outcomes
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Creative: You are a thinker who is driven to create exciting, unique event experiences for today’s digitally-savvy consumer.
- Diligent: You have flawless attention to detail. You are accustomed to working with tight
- deadlines, competing priorities and can keep many balls in the air at once.
- Experienced: You have strong project management, organizational and communication
skills. You have a college degree and seven plus years of event/marketing experience.
- Calm Under Pressure and a Focus on Staying on Task: Many things can go wrong during an event, and something eventually will. Focus and drive are crucial
- Organized: Many things happen all at once at events. Event managers need to stay
focused and organized so that the event goes off without a hitch.
- Computer Skills: Modern event planners rely on computers to communicate, plan, budget and organize their events.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience as an events, sales or marketing manager required.
- Must be proficient with Excel, PowerPoint, Google docs.
- The ideal candidate will have high attention to detail, high ideation and presentation skills.
- The ability to multi-task and thrive in a highly collaborative environment is a must. Must be self-motivated with strong work ethics.
- Must be able to handle and prioritize multiple demands from managers and sales staff.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills as well as provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to interact with all levels of employees and clients with sensitivity and respect.
- Position requires reliable transportation and ability to light 25 pounds.
- Event manager will be asked to visit clients, event sites and asked to move various items such as tables, podiums, etc.
Target Compensation: $60,000, plus bonus
Compensation dependent upon relevant education and experience
The fulltime position includes a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k) match.