Student Financial Support ManagerEast Carolina University
East Carolina University
Student Financial Support Manager
Vacancy #: 002139
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The Division of Health Sciences is the largest and most complex division within the University, employing more than 700 EPA employees and 1,700 SPA employees. The Division is composed of numerous Centers, Institutes, and agencies such as East Carolina Heart Institute and Eastern Area Health Education Center, the Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Nursing, the Brody School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, and the Laupus Health Science Library. In addition to the Academic and Administrative responsibilities of the division, the four professional schools provide clinical services throughout eastern North Carolina in a variety of settings and venues.
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of ten administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Innovation and Discovery, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Assistant Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and the Executive Director for Business and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences and Research.
Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the underserved population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina. In order to operate these clinics, appropriate dental auxiliaries and clinical staff are needed.
The Student Financial Support Manager for the ECU School of Dental Medicine directly manages student and resident financial support and addresses concerns and issues that may arise during the dental students’ and residents’ dental education. The individual provides student counseling and support in the areas of student and resident budgeting, financial aid, loan repayment, and other financial considerations impacting students during their dental education and as they develop their future professional plans. This position reports to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.
In alignment with the mission of the School to prepare graduates for practicing in rural and underserved areas of North Carolina, this position works with students as they identify potential practice opportunities after graduation, and assists them in identifying and understanding the financial implications associated with practicing in the areas they choose. Financial implications may include loan repayment options, and costs associated with setting up and opening a practice.
In coordination with the East Carolina University Student Financial Services Division, the SFSM will perform the following activities for the School of Dental Medicine:
- Develop a comprehensive working knowledge of the costs of dental education and the economics of dental practice.
- In compliance with the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) Standard 4-7, Student Financial Aid:
- Advise prospective and enrolled students of the total expected cost of their dental education.
- On an annual basis, provide enrolled students with a statement of their accumulated debt, future needs assessment, availability of future financial aid.
- Maintain Financial Aid database for ECU School of Dental Medicine.
- Provide Associate Dean for Student Affairs with monthly Financial Aid Reports.
- Work with ECU Office of Student Financial Aid Division to monitor and award all financial aid available to dental students.
- Review student needs prior to contacting ECU Student Financial Aid Division for additional financial aid.
- Review student loan options and assist students in selecting appropriate loan options.
- Be familiar with all loan options available to students and provide timely and accurate information to students.
- Facilitate and support students’ understanding of financial aid options and implications of the financial aid decisions that they make as students and as new graduates.
- Prior to graduation, provide students with repayment schedules and specific billing procedures
- Keep students informed of alternate opportunities for loan repayment.
- Provide debt consolidation information.
- Interface with School of Dental Medicine faculty and Community Service Learning Center Business Managers to reinforce Practice Management curriculum.
- Develop complementary series of seminars for students, aimed at increasing their financial literacy and understanding of personal budgeting, meeting individually with students as needed to further their understanding of these critical concepts.
- Provide students with educational training associated with budgets, compound interest and debt consolidation.
- Participate in Practice Management curriculum content development and administration, with particular emphasis in the areas of financial management, business plan development and retirement planning.
- Assist individual students in developing and monitoring personal budgets.
- Support application of Practice Management curriculum within the Community Service Learning Centers.
- Utilize working knowledge of economics of dental practice to support students’ abilities to make sound business decisions for their future practice.
- Provide graduating students with financial options and financial impact of each option as they graduate from the SoDM, including such professional options as:
- Service in lieu of loan repayment
- Dental practice purchase
- Associateships, partnerships, and practice employee arrangements
- Residency programs
- Support students’ abilities to manage other financially related issues and concerns.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Banking and Finance or related field
- Three years of experience in financial administration and management
- Working skill level in development of policies and procedures
- Excellent computer and database skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills necessary to work with diverse groups
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Experience in Student Financial Aid in a University setting or equivalent
- Experience developing, editing and providing training
- Experience working in a University setting, working with professional school students
- Understanding of the economics of dental practice
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
Additional Instructions to Applicants
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 002139 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/17327