Chief PlannerCity of Greenville, NC
Under general direction, performs difficult and highly responsible professional level planning studies and projects; leads and directs major phases of overall planning programs; assists the Director of Community Development in the overall operation of the department.
Examples of Duties:
• Plan, coordinate, supervise, and assign tasks for major planning projects and studies, current planning and zoning, and long-range and project planning;
• Provide administrative, budgetary, and technical leadership to Planning Division staff and interns;
• Assume a lead role in the update of the City's Comprehensive Plan and prepare reports and recommendations to the City Manager and the City Council;
• Responsible for maintenance and amendment of land development procedures, policies, and codes (comprehensive plan, subdivision ordinance, zoning ordinance, etc.);
• Assist and advise the general public, development community, boards and commissions, City Council, and City staff concerning planning related matters;
• Supervise the City's planning related review and enforcement program;
• Perform independent work in the development of analyses and recommendations regarding current and long-range physical, social, and economic projects and allied phases of the City's comprehensive plan and community development program;
• Coordinate and work with various departments and agencies to review and approve plans and projects;
• Provide staff assistance to the City's boards and commissions;
• Prepare major planning related reports and presentations;
• Prepare land use, transportation, community facilities, parks, and related community development plans;
• Prepare and present oral and written reports; and
• Perform numerous related special projects, activities and other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in planning or a closely related field.
• Master's Degree in a related field and AICP certification preferred.
• Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in municipal planning.
• Three years of supervisory experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of:
• the principles and practices of urban planning and the most recent concepts & trends thereof;
• statutory planning and development regulations and procedures;
• land use concepts;
• quantitative methods and research techniques;
• the municipal government framework.
• preparing charts, graphs, and maps;
• interpreting statistical data;
• division budget preparation and financial management;
• familiarity and good working knowledge of the most recent GIS suite of products and mapping and drawing software.
• attend evening meetings as required.
• organize and conduct complex planning and research studies to formulate relevant recommendations based on such research;
• prepare and maintain, with technical accuracy, comprehensive master city plans and maps, especially as they apply to land use planning;
• direct, supervise, and coordinate several major planning projects concurrently;
• provide effective management, evaluation, and leadership to a highly trained technical staff
• prepare and present clear and concise oral and written reports of planning activities to internal and external agencies;
• maintain effective working relationships with the general public, development community, City officials, and employees