Director of Equity and Community EngagementCary Academy
Cary Academy is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory day school for 770 students in grades 6-12 located on a beautiful 65-acre campus in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill). Since opening in 1997, Cary Academy has been steadfast in its mission to create a diverse learning community committed to discovery, innovation, collaboration, and excellence. Applications are now invited for the position outlined below.
Director of Equity and Community Engagement
As a member of the school’s senior leadership team, the Director of Equity and Community Engagement will lead a dynamic team responsible for internal and external community building. You will serve as an educator, motivator, and mobilizer within a diverse community, supporting all school efforts to create an environment that is welcoming, just, and inclusive.
- Serve as the school’s primary thought leader, strategic planner, and community builder around all areas of equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Develop and implement training, curriculum, and programs in the areas of equity, inclusion, and justice for students, employees, and parents.
- Help develop and lead the new Center for Community Engagement, coordinating strategy and managing a team with responsibilities for internal and external programs. In addition to your primary focus of equity and inclusion, the Center’s areas of influence are experiential learning, service learning, social entrepreneurship, and multicultural affairs.
- Establish and energize relationships between the school and various cultural communities in the Triangle. Act as a resource for the school’s partners and the wider community.
- Collaborate with Admissions in the recruitment, orientation, and retention of students.
- Play a key role in the recruitment and orientation of employees.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors on issues of equity and inclusion.
- Assist with other areas as assigned by the Head of School.
In general, this position is scheduled to work Monday through Friday year-round. There may be certain work requirements that could result in a need for temporary modification of this schedule. This position is scheduled to work 37.5 hours per week. The actual times worked are determined by the supervisor and must meet the requirements of the position description.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to listen compassionately, nurture dialogue, and solve problems.
- Able to develop strong working relationships with students, faculty, staff, parents, Board of Directors and the larger community.
- Able to guide, mentor, and lead others.
- Able to provide professional support and guidance to a team of professionals.
- Able to think strategically, manage multiple projects, and use time effectively.
- Able to interpret and thoughtfully manage the personal, political, and institutional dynamics related to diversity in schools.
- Knowledge of, and appreciation for, the history of diversity issues in our region, country, and world.
Master’s Degree is highly preferred.
A thoughtful practitioner of this work, the ideal candidate will have 7+ years of leadership in a diverse organizational setting, with demonstrable experience building programs and nurturing community.
Experience teaching, training, or building educational programming highly valued. Experience working with students preferred.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and list of five references by January 4, 2019. The school reserves the right to begin interviews and hire the ideal candidate before this deadline.
Cary Academy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. EOE M/F/D/V